Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

Class and stuff

Dave sent me this link today:

This nation of shoppers needs to talk about class, Neal Lawson, The Guardian

I agree that crap jobs as contract cleaners and in call centres are on the rise - replacing traditional manufacturing. Ie , the bad jobs are getting worse. I agree that there's a new super rich elite of bankers spraying champaigne, who are immute to taxes and revolting. But, I'm not sure what the evicence is for his claim that the middle class is shrinking. Are mangement jobs and public sector etc shrinking ?

I agree that it is blindingly obvious that class does exist, and is a problem (or, lack of social mobility is a problem). But he also, I think, wants to say that class is somehow the solution; I found this statement intriguing but sadly totally opaque:

"The alternative is to recognise class as part of the answer to how we change our world together....The emerging hourglass economy creates not just a swelling lump of poorly-paid service workers, but also a shrinking and insecure middle class, the effective organisation of which demands the rebirth of a trade unionism... "

Does he mean that the shrinking middle class are going to realise that they're shrinking, start their own trade unions, and that this would stop the alleged shrinkage? Or, does he mean the middle class is going to suddenly ride to the rescue of the contract cleaners by joining their unions? I don't get this at all - I'm not saying I don't agree - I'm not yet at the agree or disagree point - still at the 'whasat?' point...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?