Saturday, September 11, 2004

 

philosophy LIFF

hume, pron. To commit to the flames, bury, or otherwise destroy a philosophical position, as in "That theory was humed in the 1920s." Hence, exhume, v. to revive a position generally believed to humed.

kripke, adj. Not understood, but considered brilliant. "I hate to admit it, but I found his remarks quite kripke."

buber, v. To struggle in a morass of one's own making. "After I defined the self as a relation that relates to itself relatingly, I bubered around for three pages." Hence:
buber, n. one who bubers. "When my mistake was pointed out to me, I felt like a complete buber."

carnap, n. (1) A formally defined symbol, operator, special bit of notation. "His prose is peppered with carnaps" or "the argument will proceed more efficiently if we introduce a few carnaps".

The Philosophical Lexicon

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?